July 04, 2017

From Split to Vancouver

Name of this blog is becoming more and more obsolete. No drama, no sudden change of heart, no tears shed...just more or less painless transition from one place to another. Sun is out for last month and a half, not too hot during the day, not above 20 degrees during the night. The idea of summer paradise for my heat hating body. First couple of months I had a cautious approach to my ideas and wishes. Now, after 9 months in Vancouver I can say that I found my place to live. Maybe do some winters up in the far north or something similar with a dose of personal challenge (there is only one True North, sorry Jon Snow!), but in general Vancouver is a place I'm staying for (much) longer. Honeymoon phase is just getting better and better :)
Spring sunrise over English Bay
Three months have passed since my last post. Things kind of started to look like a proper routine, which is a good thing because than you can concentrate on other (fun) stuff. Biggest decision was due to Pamela's (who got her Invitation to Apply for PR) pretty straight forward message...don't be an idiot, start your procedure for Permanent Residence. And she was more than right. I'll probably have more than enough points especially with those points getting lower and lower in last couple of rounds.

She shaked my initial laziness with a very good point: "do it while it is possible...maybe rules are gonna change for worse in a year". And so I did start to do prep work to create a Express Entry profile. Diploma(s) and diploma supplements are being translated / copied and I'm kind of preparing for CELPIP English test. I choose CELPIP over IETLS because of the difference in writing part where on CELPIP you actually see how many words you wrote. That is kind of only reason. I expect that that part is gonna be wrapped up in next month, month and a half. After that I'll create a EE profile and wait to hopefully get my Invitation to Apply and go from there.

Since my WH permit is expiring 06th of October, for now plan is to work till last day and than change my status to Visitor. After that do some traveling around or more probably do nothing, buy presents and fly home at some point. Spend some time with family and friends (and not pay rent in Vancouver :D ) while my PR application is being processed. Even though probably I still can ask my company to ask LMIA for me so I can stay and work couple more months, I couldn't be bothered. I hate dealing with bureaucracy and after I get my PR who knows when I'll be going back to Croatia. In worst case scenario I'll apply for 2nd WH and resume working for same company when I return. I'm still not sure can you apply for 2nd WH if your PR application is being processed but I know Marin (All Mighty) will know that when time comes. Another thing that is important that along all the other documents for PR application, you need to have a proof that you have 12 k $. There are exceptions and friends and family can always send money to your account, but still...

Junuary backcountry skiing above Squamish
Other thing that broke my routine is when landlord with whom I've been living since my arrival asked me and other roommate to try to find a new place to live. Her son is coming back to live with her a she needs more space for her family. It was a very nice experience to live with her, especially because I've learned a lot about vegetables (mom, be proud!).


So I've found a new place, 15 minutes walking to work, private bathroom, huge kitchen, walk in closet (now I understand why everybody loves it) and only 50$/month  more than previous place. Downsides are that it 15 minutes walking to Skytrain, little bit further away from Downtown / Commercial and relatively close to highway. I moved 3 days ago and I'm already ignoring the sounds. That strategy always works, ignore the problem and it will go away :D .
3rd beach drum circle

Even though Mario B. is still spying on his Japanese roommates trying to learn new dishes to make, he is more and more coming to the dark side. Dark side is cooking less, eating out more. In this town cooking every day doesn't make too much sense if you are cooking for one person. So much different and cheap food all around that is really pity not to go out and try it all.
Mario Burek caught in his natural environment
Once the sun came out for real, beaches are full of people, bbq all over the place, mountains are full with people (team winter here, no parking problems on the trailheads, no traffic jams to the trailheads), bikes all around, downtown swarming with people. Not exactly my cup of tea but most people enjoy it. Temperatures are around 25 degrees and during the night it cools down. Which translates that you won't be sweating while standing in the sun and doing nothing. That should be a description of "too hot" temperatures.

On top of two of my flip over friends (yes, Kirk and Mario) who changed their minds and decided to stay here, some other friends from back home are thinking about coming. I should be payed for promoting Vancouver! Apart from my selfish desire to bring part of my old life here, I think that some people really really need to go somewhere and try something like this. 


It is so easy to forget about this winter and 6 months of rain :D .
 
Spearhead traverse, Whistler area

Chasing sunrise on Canada day
Work is steady, on a slightly faster pace in the summer. Little bit more traveling out of town (Merrit, Little Fort, Whistler, Victoria, Kamloops, Pemberton...) which translates to being payed for tourism and payed more than usual. Smaller towns have much different vibe than Vancouver which is sometimes a very nice change to feel. Winter months are usually slower in this industry which is one more reason I'll skip couple of winter months and go home.
As somebody would call it, outdoor caving
Squamish, Canadian climbing mecca
I really have no idea what to write anymore. Probably there were things worth mentioning in previous three months but my mind is now completely in a different place. No politics (both from politicians and from know it all people), things are functioning, polite people, no yelling, polite drivers, walking around downtown (which is still fresh after so many times looking at it), basketball, drum circles, open air cinemas, soccer,  ethnic weeks, parks, eating out, climbing, mountain biking, mountaineering, kayak, jazz nights, bbq...

On 1st of July Canada celebrated 150th birthday as a country we know today. Just let that sink in for a moment and realize how much is done in short time span on not very hospitable place on the Earth. Each and every one of us should ask our self why and start cleaning with our own backyards. That is the only way to move forward...and life doesn't wait for anybody.

#so #deeeep
Gitak propaganda 4 ever! Inflacija!

1 comment :

Blog

This is a blog about a journey of searching a better life (whatever the hell that means) or hit the floor in the process. First and foremost its purpose will be to capture the world through my own eyes and try to be as sincere as possible to myself.

In the meantime I hope it will help some people who find themselves in the similar situation to make more informed and rational decisions. Same as many blogs and forum posts helped me to get my courage up and move from the life of certainty.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.