September 01, 2016

Why...?


That is one of the hardest thing to ask a man on his way to nowhere. How to put such a mix of feelings in a bunch of words?! How to explain to someone that you want to leave a stable job in your field of studies, your many friends, family, outdoor hobbies, everything you have been building (or was built for you)  for 28 years? How to explain that to yourself? Especially when you're moving to Calgary, Alberta, CA to start from the scratch in the middle of the biggest crisis Alberta has seen in decades? Not to mention that immigration laws have become significantly tighter in a past couple of years.


And yes, how to explain to somebody that you are leaving this beautiful country behind?
Velebit mountain, Croatia 
Photo: F. Kozemelj


Split, Croatia
Photo: F. Kozemelj
Island of Pag, Croatia
Photo: F. Kozemelj
Omiš, Croatia
Photo: F. Kozemelj
I was born and raised in Split, Croatia. Since I was very young I have been kind of an outdoor person and Croatia has much to offer. From one of the deepest caves in the world to vast mountain ranges with countless (sport and alpine) climbing and hiking routes. I got my Master's degree in Electrical Engineering in 2014.

I traveled now and then but the key moment for reevaluating my position was something different. During the last three years of my studies I worked in Omiš, Croatia in a Zipline park. Most of our clients where from countries where English is the first language.

I don't know if the reason is that they where on a vacation or that we could communicate easily or that they came from a "rich" country or something else but those people where happy. Plain and simple, happy. That came as shock at first. After the initial confusion I realized I wanna be surrounded with that kind of people. 

Initial plan was to save some money and try to apply for Australian working visa. That process required a lot of money and waiting time and in the end you're not certain that you'll get the visa. It was a hard decision to make in a time of Croatia's bad economy. 

Then in the April this year I stumbled upon information that rules for applications for IEC (International Experience Canada) have changed, from "fastest finger" style to a lottery style. I applied and 40 days after I received an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for WH (Working Holiday) visa.
 
Back to the present, I'm flying to Calgary, Alberta, CA on 30th of October in time of one of the biggest economy crisis in Alberta. No job waiting for me, no place to stay, no friends, never been to Canada, only one person I know in Calgary and some money in my pocket.
Calgary, Canada
Photo: Internet 
There is a big chance that my bubble will burst, but I would never forgive myself if I didn't try to seize this opportunity that came in a form of a Canadian Working Holiday visa. Because, here in a place I still call home, something is missing. People are living in the past minding other people's business, always complaining and not doing anything about it, there is no future in sight, economy is in a bad shape for last 20 years and things are not moving in any other direction. Everybody is blaming all the politicians for this state our country is in. Average voters are refusing to share at least some part of responsibility, because politicians are just a reflection of people they rule.



However this adventure turns out, one day I wanna look in the mirror and tell myself that I tried to make a change. Not so much for me but for my future children so they can be raised in a more healthier environment.


Ps. As one family would say "winter is coming".
Or in my case "winter, I'm coming"



2 comments :

  1. Lijepo rečeno. Nice spoken. And bravo for you courage to change things that sorrunds you. If you cannot change people around you, you can change a place of living. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Blog

This is a blog about a journey of searching a better life (whatever the hell that means) or hit the floor in the process. First and foremost its purpose will be to capture the world through my own eyes and try to be as sincere as possible to myself.

In the meantime I hope it will help some people who find themselves in the similar situation to make more informed and rational decisions. Same as many blogs and forum posts helped me to get my courage up and move from the life of certainty.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.